Death By Hope Streaming Player

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

A Peaceful Respite, Part 1



This is a song I made for my mom for Mother's Day in 2013.  However, before I could finish it, I was laid off and set everything aside to figure out what I was going to do.  A year later, I was able to get it mostly finished and to her.  My god daughter is on the song; her granddaughter.  The lyrics are from the first page of a poem written by my grandmother; her mom.

The lyrics seem to cover how my grandmother misses Colorado and the mountains.  A trait I apparently share.  She was raised there, but left to be with my grandfather after his time in the service in Missouri.  They raised children, ran a farm, but she always missed the mountains of her youth.



A Peaceful Respite

My body's tired and weary,
My heart is troubled, too.
I feel I need new courage
To face each day anew.

I'll go back to the mountains,
Feel their still quiet strength,
I yearn to be among them
And stay there for some length.

I'm finally on my way now,
There are long miles to face,
Yet after endless highway
I'm almost to the place.

My car moves on too slowly--
My heart runs on ahead--
I hear the red-winged blackbird
Down near old Grape Creek bed.

The magpies how they chatter
As they fly to their nest.
The meadowlarks are singing
Near where some cattle rest.

Wild roses!  Oh, how lovely;
They bloom along this hill--
Chokecherries right for picking--
Dare I just eat my fill?

Along a lane so shady
And through a barbed-wire gate,
O'er an old broken foot-bridge--
Oh, I can hardly wait!

The house is old and shabby,
Tall pines hide her disgrace,
But, feel the peace that lingers!
Out here there's no rat race.

No cattle in the barn now, 
No horses near the shed,
No early crowing rooster,
No pigs need to be fed.

In memory I see it,
I'd welcome back their sounds,
Forgot the noise of space age,
My head no longer pounds.

No car horns, no squeling tires,
No music playing loud,
No neighbors here to borrow,
No gossip is allowed.

*recording notes.  Used a Dillion Acoustic/Electric guitar.  Pro-Tools.  Fruity Loops.  Epiphone EB-0 Bass.  East West Symphony Samples.  Heil PR-20 Microphone.

No comments:

Post a Comment